Friday, January 21, 2011

What makes me think I can build a Tiki 30?

That's a question I've asked myself many many times over the past few months. It's not like I'm big time wood worker, building chairs, cabinets and the like. I mess around with wood working and have a few tools that a serious wood worker would either laugh at or cringe.

My confidence comes really from having built a Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker 12-ft sailing dinghy which was built with the same method as the Tiki, that is Stitch and Glue. I think of these kind of boats not so much as wooden boats as fiberglass boats with a wood core. Built from the core out.

I think the biggest challenge will not be the technical issues, but the motivation over a long period. The CLC dinghy took a year and a half(the build is detailed on my other website www.3ddev.com/tschuss under Our Small Boats), but that represented only about 130 man-hours. I had other projects at the time, fixing up a house to sell for one, but I also know that dragging my ass out to the garage in less than perfect weather was tough. And in perfect weather I wanted to go sailing or biking. But then I had a large sailboat, now the Tiki is to be the sailboat.

So I'm hoping that this blog and some feedback will help keep me on track! So thanks in advance for any comment. Oh and my goal is to have Rubicon(current name, but I'm pondering other meaningful possible names) ready to sail in the same time the CLC took. So I only need to up my production by a factor of 10 :)

I've decided that May 1, 2011 will be the official start of construction! By that date we should have been in Maine at our Dome house for at least a month giving me a good start on house construction before getting sidetracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment